Mini Traditional Egg Cakes 鸡蛋糕
With so many cooking and baking mums in my network, it is only natural for me to take a keen interest in baking.
Baking to me is also very therapeutic when things get a little stressful on the work front. However, I tend to like working on quick and easy recipes and here's one of my all-time favorites.
Traditional egg cakes, or better known as Kueh Bahulu are my all time comfort food, treats my mum would buy for me when I was good.
Baking them isn't too difficult, and is definitely one of the cakes I will attempt when I have cake cravings.
Mini Traditional Egg Cakes (Makes about 18 pieces)
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia
200 grams of castor sugar --> I used only 150 grams
A pinch of salt
180 grams all-purpose flour --> I used plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
35 grams Oil --> I used about 20 grams
1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Whip eggs, sugar and salt with wire whisk at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Sift in flour mixture (flour + baking powder) with a spatula until well combined.
- Add oil and vanilla extract and mix till well combined.
- Pour batter into mini muffin tins or any cake moulds as desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- I hand-whisked the mixture, which led to the cake texture being less fluffy than expected. So, it is best to use a mixer for this recipe.
- I reduced the amount of oil to 20 grams, with no compromise on the moisture of the cake.
- I forgot to add vanilla extract, but it still taste as yummy.